Our generation loves privacy and the need and desire for it have reached every part of our lives. Do you remember regretting sending a text on Instagram, but not being able to unsend it? Well, this is why we loved Facebook Messenger, didn’t we? A piece of good news for you – Instagram launched its Vanish Mode in 2020. If you don’t know what it is or have heard about it for the first time, you’re in for a treat. In the following article, we’ll discuss all about the feature and how to turn on vanish mode on Instagram.
If you’re a social media fanatic and have heard about it, you might want to know how to turn off vanish mode on Instagram. Well, the following article has all the answers. So, let’s jump right into it and boost our privacy on Instagram!
What is Vanish Mode On Instagram?
If you’ve used Snapchat and value privacy, you’ll surely love their message vanishing feature. Well, Vanish Mode on Instagram is something quite similar. The feature was introduced to help users get the added privacy they might need and compete with the top social media platforms.
According to Meta’s official statement, Instagram Vanish Mode helps users create temporary chat threads and join others. These threads are automatically deleted once the conversation is over, leaving no trace of the messages. However, some important points one must note include:-
- Vanish Mode doesn’t turn on automatically and needs to be switched manually
- Instagram’s group chats don’t support the feature
- Vanish Mode can only be turned on for DMs between two people
- You cannot switch on vanish mode if both the participants don’t follow each other
- Users can accept or decline the other participant’s request for Vanish Mode
- In case someone takes a screenshot of the conversation, the other participant is immediately notified
- Vanish Mode allows participants to send texts, images, GIFs, and much more!
Why use Vanish Mode on Instagram?
The prime purpose of Instagram’s vanish mode is to help maintain people’s privacy. In case you suspect someone snooping through your conversations and want to avoid it, the feature is quite useful. Or, one might want to have a private chat with someone that they don’t want to leave a trace of. Vanish Mode is also useful when participants share confidential information with each other.
This prevents the leaking of data and adds to security. Another key point to remember – you can easily block or report someone even in vanish mode. Hence, there is always the option of discontinuing the conversation in case you feel unsafe.
How to turn on Vanish Mode on Instagram?
Now that you know what Vanish Mode is all about, let’s discuss how to turn it on Vanish Mode. Follow these simple steps and get started with Vanish mode on the platform:-
- Open the Instagram app and click on the chat icon on the screen (you can swipe left too!)
- Click on an existing message thread or create a new one where you want to turn on vanish mode.
- Scroll to the bottom of the chat and swipe up from your screen’s bottom
- As soon as you release it, you’ll have turned on vanish mode on the platform
- Your Instagram screen will turn black, the app moves into the dark mode, and you’ll see several shushing emojis indicating you’ve successfully activated Vanish mode
How to turn off Vanish Mode on Instagram?
Vanish Mode is originally disabled on every chat (DMs) and one needs to manually activate it. If you’re done using the feature, it is obvious you want to know how to turn off vanish mode on Instagram. So, let’s look at the process to do so in a few, quick steps:-
- Click on the chat or message thread where Vanish mode is enabled
- You’ll notice a dotted circle beside the name of the contact in your DM list for easy identification
- Scroll to the end of your chat and swipe up from the button on your screen
- As soon as you release it, Vanish mode will have turned off
- Your Instagram screen will return to normal and all previous messages from the Vanish mode session will disappear
Vanish Mode is a great feature for those who use Instagram frequently and would like to take control of their privacy. However, just like other features, this is a double-edged sword. You need to be intelligent enough to know how to handle it. After all, social media can be a cruel place and your safety is in your hands.
Remember that you can easily block or report someone even in vanish mode. Moreover, Instagram lets you report messages from Vanish mode for up to 14 days after they disappear. However, you’ll not be able to retrieve the conversation once Vanish mode is turned off and the conversation is closed.
We hope the article helped you learn more about the feature and how to turn on vanish mode on Instagram. The section on how to turn off vanish mode on Instagram will help you out in case you change your mind!